Thursday, March 17, 2011

What Price Dignity?

Dignity. 

What does dignity mean to you, and can you put a price on it?  Personally, I don't think so.  I sure know of some people who deserve to be treated with some though.   Being treated with dignity and respect is something that I think all of us deserve.  Unfortunately, in my field of work I see people being deprived of it all the time.

I don't mean to sound sanctimonious, but I'm totally passionate about this particular topic.  It kinda ranks right up there with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I think all of us should have the opportunity to be the best that we can be, regardless of what we bring (or don't bring) to the table.

Treating someone with dignity can take many forms.  An encouraging word.  A fighting chance.  An opportunity.  Allowing someone the dignity of having a dream, regardless of whether or not it ever comes to fruition.  Too pie in the sky?  Too bleeding heart?  Maybe.  Personally, I don't want to deprive anyone of hope.  I know what that feels like to have someone tell you no, or not believe in you, or say it can't be done.

I know someone who has more obstacles than I can imagine, yet has a better attitude and outlook on life than I or many other people will ever have.  However, people try to shut this person down and close the door at every turn. 

So I just wanted to say on behalf of this person:

*I believe in you.*

*I support you.*

*I will cheer you on.*

*Where there's a will, there's a way.*

*God has a plan for your life.*

Okay, I'm over it.  Thanks for indulging my sanctimonious rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment