Thursday, March 31, 2011

Practical Intuition

I haven't always listened to my intuition.  It was always there, of course, but I think I just chose to ignore it and to hope for the best.

What a pity, because I think it might have saved me alot of time...and some major hair,  fashion, and social faux pas.   (Did I really wear those geriatric shoes?  What in the world did I let that freakish little man do to my hair?  Why did I say that?  Was it true? Was it necessary?  Was it kind?  )  Ouch, ouch, and ouch.

Seriously though, I think women are sometimes apprehensive about listening to their intuition, or their "gut instinct" because it can feel uncomfortable. What happens when we intuitively know that something isn't good for us, or isn't working?  It's important though, in terms of personal safety, deciding who we trust our children with, deciding if someone has our best interests at heart, and for many other reasons.  I think even if you choose not to listen to what your intuition says, you know.  You always know.

Reversely, I've wasted alot of time denying what truly worked in my life because I didn't want to inconvenience anyone else or make a fuss.  Kind of just going along to get along.

Not good.

I don't think I fully embraced my intuition until I had kids, and more specifically, until the first time one of my babies got sick.  I mean, what mother hasn't picked up the phone at 2:00am or on Christmas Eve, knowing full well that something isn't right, and yet tried to decide if they should call the pediatrician?  Luckily, it gets easier after that first call, but many new parents (myself included) feel insecure.  Eventually though, you learn to recognize the signs of the fevers, the ear infections, and eventually you know it's strep throat before they even send it to the lab.  Yes, mothers rule the world.

My point?  I think practical intuition is important.  I've had many instances recently when I didn't listen to my gut, and it turned out badly every time.  Reversely, I've also consciously chosen to listen to my intuition and it was absolutely dead on accurate both for me, my family, and my clients.

I think I'm going to get quiet more often and really listen to what my gut is telling me.  I'm also going to stay away from geriatric shoe choices. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment