Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Birthday Calendar

Where in the world does eight years of childhood go? (Or 40 years of life for that matter, but that's another post).  Although it seems impossible, I must tearfully accept the inevitable fact that my dear little twins are turning eight this year.  No longer my tiny premature infants (4lb. 11oz. and 5lbs. 9oz respectively), they are heading full steam ahead towards tweendom.  All in the blink of an eye.  Poof!

Now before we walk too far down the winding road of sentimentality, let me give you a reality check.  These kids, like other children their age, know the score.  They are having a birthday, they are total rock stars, and they know exactly what that means for them: presents, birthday parties, cards, presents, school parties, cake, birthday dinners, and did I mention...PRESENTS?!?!

Enter the Birthday Calendar.  Jordan began dutifully keeping a calendar on March 1st and checking the days off.  Each morning she consults with her brother, and then there is a big announcement, "Only 27 more days...only 21 days left, Mommy... only 19 more days until our birthday, Mommy.  Some days there is a backlash when the remaining days on the calendar are counted and recounted.  "REALLY?  SERIOUSLY?  THERE ARE STILL 22 DAYS LEFT?" <<insert the sighing and eye rolling>>> I JUST CAN'T WAIT MOM, I REALLY CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!"

Am I the only parent who begins to panic when the days count down?  Birthdays are hard work for moms, especially those of us on a budget.  The shopping, the planning, emailing the teachers to coordinate a party date and time, arranging to take off work, trying to decide what kind of birthday party to have and where, how many kids to invite, and most of all trying to make our kids dreams come true while trying to rein in their expectations.  Pump it Up? (We did that a few years ago, sweetie.  Fun, but kinda pricey).  Chuck E. Cheese (Really? The pizza makes Mommy nauseaus, but... we'll see.  Wait, we did that last year, remember? You each took one friend? read: dodged a bullet on that one) A slumber party? (We could probably do that.)  BRANDON: "I DON'T WANT A SLUMBER PARTY, I WANT MY OWN PARTY WITHOUT ANY GIRLS!!!! (So we want to try two separate parties?  ***Audible Sigh***  I need to rest now, guys.  Go get your mother a Coke. Bring the Tylenol too.)

So, the birthday calendar gains more momentum with each passing day, and I suppose that means dear old mom needs to figure something out, and soon. Mommyhood is hard work.  I think I'll go lay back down for a little bit while I figure that out....

1 comment:

  1. I have always had difficulty planning birthday parties. It seems we have to have a class party, friend party and family party. It turns into a week of birthdays. With twins it takes on a new dimension, I realized as I read your post. Especially with a boy and girl as they get older. You are a great mom and the party(ies) will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete