Sunday, March 20, 2011

She had me at hello.

I have this thing about my hair.

I don't spend much cash on clothing, shoes or accessories. I'm a major bargain shopper, and if I spend more than $20 on any one item, it's extremely rare.  I typically make a special trip to Goodwill every week or so to check out the brand new shoes that they they get in that are overstocks from Target, JCPenney's and wherever.  I once got a brand new pair of Skecher athletic shoes for $3.99, and I'm not even kidding. 

I don't get my nails done.  I've had approximately three manicures in my entire existence, and that includes the one I got before my wedding.  Don't get me wrong, I love to be pampered, but generally it's just not a huge priority.

My hair is a different story.  It's the only thing I am willing to really splurge on.  The only problem is, I'm also a procrastinator.  Therefore, I will often wait until I'm in a crisis mode before I try to get in with a hairdresser (family holiday, book signing, etc.) and by then it's usually too late.  Therefore, the longest I've ever stayed with a stylist is about 2 years, and then, due to the aforementioned crisis mode, I end up making a change, calling a new salon and basically getting "potluck" for lack of a better term.

I know.  It's ridiculous.

During the last self-imposed crisis, I called Planet Hair and was assigned to who I refer to affectionately as "The 21-year-old hairdresser."  (Almost 21, at least 62 pounds, blonde, and intimidatingly beautiful.  Lives in a loft in Old Town.  Going to Vegas with her best girlfriends for her 21st birthday).  I was like, really?  Seriously?  I'm old enough to be this chick's mother.  She's going on 21.   She has feathers weaved into her hair.   Could she really do a decent job?

Well, in spite of all my reservations, this girl had me at hello.  She had me at hello.

So stinkin' cute.  An amazing talent.  Funny and charming.  And totally for real. 

  • "It was hard to go to a small school and watch alot of other kids get handed everything on a platter.  I had to work for everything I had.  I'm glad I did though.  At least I appreciate it."  (You. Complete. Me.)

  • "You're hair is so perfect." (It's okay, sweetness.  You're already getting a tip.)

  • "I just love your stories!" (Keep it up, this is really good stuff.)

  • "I just know great things are going to happen for you, Michelle!" (I'm now sniffling).

My point?

I was too judgemental.  The 21-year-old Hairdresser rocks.  She had me at hello.  Now if I can just talk her into taking me to Vegas with her....

2 comments:

  1. Explain to me, please, how we were separated at birth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it. Our parents have some explaining to do...:D

    ReplyDelete