Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The "S" Word

I have an 8-year-old daughter who I refer to affectionately  as "Blonde Ambition."

That girl is always thinking.  She always has a plan, or an idea, and she's always two steps ahead of me.  Tell her it can't be done? She'll totally figure it out.  Tell her you'll get to it in an hour?  She'll make it work on her own.  Doubt her fashion sensibilities but reluctantly let her forge ahead? Nine times out of ten, her clothing combinations will look great.  Sleep in until 9am?  No worries.  She's up, dressed, made her own breakfast, selected and started a DVD, fed the dog and let the cat out before I've even had my first Diet Coke.

Basically, she's a really good kid and I'm proud of how independent she is...but I don't like her use of the "S" Word, nor do I appreciate the "1980's Valley Girl" tone by which she dare speaketh the "S" word in my presence.

No, it's not what you're thinking, and be glad about that that, but her particular "S" word offends me none the less.  The "S" word I'm referring to is the word "SERIOUSLY."

  • Jordan, I need you to get changed and ready for ballet class.  (SERIOUSLY, MOM? I'm kind of busy playing with Pet Shop Toys).  Oh, yes.  Quite serious.
  • Hey, Sissy!  It's time for you to shut off the computer and get your math paper done?  (SERIOUSLY, MOM?  I'm right in the middle of something!)  Yes, serious as a heart attack, princess.
  • Jordan, your CD is too loud!  Please turn it down. (SERIOUSLY, MOM? But I love Taylor Swift!)  I like her too, just not at that volume.
  • Jordan, it's not nice to treat your brother that way!" (You SERIOUSLY expect me to apologize after he's been antagonizing me all day?!  NOT FAIR!")
Basically, I've grown to dislike this word immensely, and I tell her so.  It's not even as much about the word as it is about the tone of voice.  I often remind her that I'm her mother, not one of her little cohorts, and I expect to be spoken to respectfully. No eye rolling, no sighing, no sass, no United Nations negotiating tactics,  just compliance.

"Well, DUH!" she responded one day, complete with eye rolling and disrespect.

Well, at that moment, I found a word I disliked MORE than "seriously," and guess who got grounded the next day?

(Well, DUH!)

(Disclaimer:  You need not email or message me with comments about how the sassy apple doesn't fall too far from the sassy tree.  This I already know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment