Saturday, April 9, 2011

Other People's Children

Fun Night 2011.

I stood next to a large obstacle course inflatable in the West Elementary School gym for 1 1/2 hours tonight.   My job was to supervise an endless line of children and make sure they climbed up the inflatable one at a time.

To be honest with you, I didn't start out being too happy about it, mainly because my two crabby butt children decided at the last minute that they didn't even want to go.  You may be asking why I didn't force them to go, and I might have pushed harder had we not been out almost all day shopping and running errands.  They were tired and crabby and I didn't feel much like buying $8 wristbands for two kids that were going to give me an attitude. I guess I lack conviction, but tonight I couldn't care less.

I did, however, feel obligated to show up and help since I said I would.  Oh sure, no biggie, probably 20 other people would have stepped in, but I kind of wanted to get out of the house for awhile anyway.  So, I went...and guess what?  I totally had a great time.

I love kids that talk (both of mine have selective mutism) and these kids had plenty to ask or tell me.

"Are you Mrs. Pryor?"  Yes I am, dear heart, and I love how you're so stinkin' sweet and polite.  (Being called "Mrs. Pryor" makes me giggle, I don't know why).

"You're Jordan's mom!  Jordan is in my class.  Mrs. Gordon is our teacher."  Oh I know, right?

"Did you know that my cousin and I go to the same school?"  No.  No I didn't.  I don't know you, or your cousin, but I think that's super great, sweetness.

"Will you hold my punch card/head band/plastic ring while I go down?"  Um, okay.  Sure, hon. 

"Look at the necklace/sticker/dinosaur/tatoo what I won in the prize room!"  Cool! That is SO totally awesome!

So... what are my conclusions about "Other People's Children?"
  • They're sweet. 
  • They're respectful.
  • They listen to adults (only one kid went totally rogue, and the parents quickly swooped in to stop it)
  • They're helpful to one another.
  • They're a fun way to spend an hour and a half.
Mrs. Pryor  is really glad she went.

No comments:

Post a Comment