Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mother of the Year

I'm never gonna win the "Mother of the Year" award.

Consider this: I don't think anything labeled "certified organic" has ever passed my children's lips. * Occasionally we have Cinnamon Toast Crunch for dinner. *  Sometimes I lose my cool, and when I tell my children I'm getting an "energy drain," they know they've pushed me to the limit. * They know more about I-Carly, Big Time Rush, Miranda Cosgrove and Victoria Justice than I would prefer that they know. *  I refuse to let my kids jump on the neighbor's lawn mattresses, and if the kids (or the neighbors) think I'm a meanie goat, so be it. 

That's fine.  I refuse to be too hard on myself.

It's not that I don't have standards.   Oh, I have standards, but "standards" and "perfection" are two entirely different entities.  If you want advice, you can buy parenting books or read magazine articles.  You can listen to family members or complete strangers on everything from potty training to how to get into an Ivy League university.   There is no shortage of advice and opinions out there. 

***WARNING:  This post contains some sarcastic materials that may not be suitable for all readers.***You should pay SPECIAL attention to the childless, as well as to those who have not turned out a quality product (read: adult child) because they typically know more than anyone on how you should be raising your children. ****

Okay, that was uncalled for.  True, but uncalled for. :) 

Basically, I parent from the hip and that works for me.  I'm not looking for perfection, or a mother of the year award.  I listen to my heart and my intuition, and I act accordingly.  I will continue to decide what my priorities are.  I will have victories and I will fall short, but I'll do my best.

I love my children. I have high expectations for my children.  I want them to take responsibility for their own actions, and to understand how their actions and choices affect them and the people around them.  I want them to be kind and compassionate human beings.  I basically want the world.  We all do.

As mothers, we all do the best that we can, and I think that's good enough.  At least, it's good enough for me.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment